The BRDB's Main Scheme seeks to deliver an institutional development package that, at its heart, promotes the formation of cooperatives amongst the rural poor.
Main Scheme is the core program of BRDB which is funded by the Government of Bangladesh. The Main Scheme aims to develop the socio-economic condition of the small and marginal farmers, women and rural poor through two-tier cooperatives; which involves village based cooperatives linking with Upazila central cooperative Association.
Through this two-tier cooperative structure, BRDB provides development services; such as, short and medium term credit, training in modern agricultural and extension techniques, supplies of high-yielding varieties of seed, fertiliser, irrigation technologies, marketing and sales support. It is through the delivery of these services that the BRDB promotes rural development and seeks to alleviate poverty.
The BRDB Main Scheme activities are as follows:
1. Organise farmers into village cooperative groups for providing support facilities aimed at increasing farm productivity and income.
2. Unite village cooperative into Upazila Central Cooperative Associations – known as Upazila Central Cooperative Associations (UCCAs). Deliver essential services, such as supervised credit, training, agricultural extension, input supplies, technology and marketing support, to village societies through UCCAs.
3. Link UCCAs with national-level organisations.
4. Develop local leaders.
5. Ensure timely and sustained provision of required inputs.
6. Organise training for BRDB officials (both for utilisation on development works and to strengthen the workforce of Government departments).
7. Undertake continuous monitoring and evaluation for existing programs and projects, and research avenues of service expansion.
The extension services offered by BRDB help uplifting the status of the poor in various ways. Major achievements of such services are stated below :
Activities Cumulative Total
(i) Tree Plantation 169.221 million
(ii) Psciculture 1281.699 million
(iii) Sanitary Latrine 0.100 million
(iv) No. of Families using Improve Chulli 1.852 million
(v) Inoculation & Vaccination of Cattle/Poultry 271.630 million.
(vi) Establishment of Nurseries 0.002 million
(vii) Coconut Plantation 0.855 million